Day in the Life of a Tech Professional
2 Min Read
The average work day for people working in tech is hardly predictable, but there are some common themes. Take a look at some of the responses from our online survey of professionals across the globe.
- 49% wake up between 6 and 7 a.m.
- 10% wake up before 6 a.m.
- 41% wake up at 7 a.m. or later
- 33% put on their glasses
- 5% put in their contacts
- 10% have both glasses and contacts
- 52% have neither
Grab Some Coffee?
- No: 34%
- Yes: 66%
- 29% have 1 cup
- 44% have 2 cups
- 19% have 3 cups
- 6% have 4 cups
- 2% have 5+ cups
Begin Commute to Work
- 10% don’t commute, as remote workers
- 73% take a car
- 14% use public transportation
- 1% have a motorcycle
Arrive at Work
- 57% start working between 8 and 9 a.m.
- 6% start between midnight and 6:30 a.m.
- 5% start after noon
- 9% work in organizations of 0-10
- 18% work in organizations of 11-100
- 30% work in organizations of 101-500
- 43% work in organizations of 501+
- 71% fire up their PC
- 16% Mac
- 6% both
- 6% Linux
- 1% Unix
Time for the First Meeting of the Day
- 51% average one or two meetings each day
- 35% have no meetings
- 62% bring their own lunch
- 38% go out for lunch
Finish Up Projects
- 78% listen to music while they work
- Rock: 27%
- Hip-Hop: 19%
- Electronic: 10%
- Jazz: 8%
Head Home — Or Work Late?
- 74% finish work between 4:30 and 6:00 p.m.
- 62% work 7-8 hours each day
- 25% never work late
- 58% work late 1-2 times per week
Relax at Home
- 54% are welcomed by at least one furry companion
- 26% are cat people
- 67% are dog people
- 7% have both
- 38% perform freelance tech work
Become a tech professional with an online BS in Computer Science or an information systems degree. In a convenient format, you’ll obtain the strong foundation needed for lucrative, in-demand roles like database administrator, software developer, web developer, IT manager, information security analyst, and more.
These programs from Concordia, St. Paul feature small class sizes with a personal learning environment geared toward your success. Learn from knowledgeable faculty who have industry experience. Get started with CSP today.